Saturday, February 8, 2020

Palliser Presentation

Palliser Presentation
Wong
February 6, 2020 2:45pm



“If there’s an angle we try to apply to everything we talk about, for sure it's ‘We’re from here, we get it!’ “ says Chris Palliser, co-host of the morning show at Virgin Radio 107.3. He says that the hosts try to add their own personality and life experiences to whatever topic they are talking about. “100% we want to be local.”

Palliser started his radio journey at Camosun College, where he originally studied history. “I had a great history PE teacher at Mount Douglas. So I took a few history classes at Camosun.” But he admits that his outgoing personality and love of talking has gotten him in trouble.

“I think I'm the only Camosun student ever to get a detention for talking,” says Palliser. “Then I was walking and I saw a pamphlet for the Applied Communications Program, and I remember it said ‘You can talk on the radio for one shift a month’ and thought I want to do that.”

After graduating, Palliser left for broadcasting opportunities in Fort McMurray, Edmonton, and Vancouver before finally returning home to Victoria after the birth of his two daughters. “I said if any opportunities come in Victoria, I’d love to get home and raise my daughters with my wife in Victoria. An opportunity came up just over a year ago, and I got to be a co-host with Brittany at Virgin Radio.”
To prepare for his morning shows, Palliser frequently brainstorms with his partner Brittany, who is also from Victoria. They try to put a local twist on their topics to be different and stand out from other radio stations in Victoria.

When writing topics, he says that he writes how he speaks. He hopes that the show can be more like a conversation with its listeners. Palliser says that they would start the show on a topic and try to get people to call in so that they can connect with their listeners. “When you’re driving it’s not just us talking to each other. You hear another voice and think oh there’s a conversation happening.”
With a company that always tells them to keep topics with a local focus, and hosts that like to keep the conversations casual and connecting with their listeners, Virgin Radio will be sure to appeal to many people in Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment